Title: Trial Garden Assistant
Classification: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
Location: Hockessin, Delaware
Mt. Cuba Center seeks an enthusiastic Trial Garden Assistant who will provide excellent skills and services in support of the Research team. Mt. Cuba Center is a non-profit horticultural organization dedicated to the study, conservation, and appreciation of plants of the Eastern United States, with a particular emphasis on the Piedmont region.
The Trial Garden Assistant is responsible for supporting work in the Trial Garden at Mt. Cuba Center. This individual works under the direct supervision of the Assistant Research Horticulturist. Duties include garden maintenance, data collection, research assistance, and other duties assigned.
- All regular gardening activities such as watering, fertilizing, dead-heading, planting, weeding, pruning and mulching.
- Support in data collection for trials.
- Assist in production of Trial Garden publications.
- Support Trial Garden special events and promote nursery connections.
- Update Trial Garden Facebook page.
- Aid in research studies in the Greenhouse.
Education, Skills, Qualifications:
- An Associate’s Degree, certification, or equivalent training in horticulture, botany or related plant science field and 2+ years of hands-on horticultural experience are preferred.
- Excellent working knowledge of plant identification, plant growth and cultural characteristics, disease recognition and control.
- Ability to operate various types of hand and power operated tools and equipment utilized in all phases of horticultural work (pruning saw, leaf blower, utility vehicle, etc.)
- Self-motivated, organized, attentive to details, able to manage time effectively and execute tasks independently.
- Ability and willingness to perform a variety of gardening tasks outdoors in a variety of weather conditions is essential.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to effectively communicate with the staff and the public.
- Ability and willingness to work weekends, holidays and special events as needed.
Date Available: Immediately
How to Apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to: email@example.com
Closing Date: This position will remain open until a suitable candidate is hired.